Too busy to cook? Turn to your slow cooker to prepare a clean, metabolism-revving meal that's ready by the time you get home from work.
- 1 1/2 lb uncooked chicken breasts
- 1 15-oz can whole, flavored, stewed tomatoes
- 1 can corn
- 1 can chickpeas
- 10 oz salsa
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz jarred jalapeño, reserve 1/2 cup of liquid
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 14 1/2-oz can chicken broth
- 1 package low-sodium taco or chili seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 4 tbsp chopped avocado
- Whole-grain tortilla chips
- Line a crock pot with chicken breasts.
- Place all other ingredients (except tortilla chips) on top of chicken and stir gently to combine. Cook on low for at least 8 hours.
- An hour before serving, remove chicken breasts and shred with forks. Return shredded chicken to pot and let cook for remaining hour. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 360, Total Fats: 14 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 40 mg, Sodium: 880 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 38 g, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 7g, Protein: 24 g, Iron: 2 mg
“This filling soup is great because it’s healthy and tastes authentic. It’s even better as leftovers!” – Mindy Parisi, Oxygen reader