Bubbly bombshell Amanda Latona was thrilled to land this month’s cover. “That’s been a goal of mine for many years now!” she says. With a larger-than-life personality, a title-winning physique and a world-famous – ahem – asset, we were just as excited.
Amanda got her start on stage as a teenager. She sang in an all-girls group (which included band mate Britney Spears – maybe you’ve heard of her?), and became hooked on performing – and staying in stage-ready shape! “My two passions are performing and fitness, and that’s how I came to compete on stage,” she says.
Getting Her “Om” On
When she isn’t lifting heavy at the gym, you can find Amanda unwinding in a Bikram yoga class. It’s her latest obsession – one that wasn’t exactly on her radar. Tight muscles contributed to a back injury, requiring Amanda to seek out new fit activities. “I was almost forced into yoga, you could say,” she tells us. “I always heard about yoga, but I loved lifting so much, I had the mindset that unless it’s lifting, and it’s heavy, and it’s intense, then it’s not worth it.” After one hot yoga class, Amanda was hooked. In addition to increasing her flexibility, Amanda feels refreshed and energized after her weekly session. “I especially love the ‘me’ time,” she says. “And I love that it challenges me!”
What’s in her fridge right now?
- Free-range organic brown eggs
- Lots of chicken
- Unsweetened flax, almond and coconut milk
- Chia seeds
- All-natural peanut and almond butters
- Carb Master yogurt (“These are the best I have found! Just 60 calories in the carton, three grams of sugar and eight grams of protein,” says Amanda.)
- Ezekiel bread
- Tons of avocados
Her tip for newbies?
“Let go of the thought: ‘I work out so I can eat whatever I want.’ It should be the opposite: because you are working out, you need the right nutrition to get the most from your training sessions, and to get the results you’re after. Clean eating is crucial,” she says. “My motto is ‘Every day is a new day to start over.’ Never be hard on yourself or get discouraged. Just pick up if you fall off, and start tomorrow.”
Her Favorite Clean Recipe
“My favorite cheat food is anything chocolate and peanut butter. I am a Reese’s fanatic,” says Amanda. “I basically control any cravings by making a healthy version of whatever I want.” Amanda has this almost every day before bed.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
- 1 scoop chocolate peanut butter casein protein.
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened milk of your choice (Amanda likes flax).
- 1 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
- Mix together first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- Spray a mug with nonstick cooking spray and fill with batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Top with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter.
“The peanut butter will melt because the protein is hot; or, you can put it back in the microwave for 15 more seconds. Enjoy!” says Amanda.