Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. From your experience, what is the most common mistake every training newbie seems to make?
I would say the most common mistake is training incorrectly. Things such as improper form, speeding through an exercise and not recruiting the muscles that are supposed to be working are all major causes of injury. I am a stickler for form when it comes to both my own training and that of my clients. Too much time is wasted when you don’t focus on form.
2. Why are glutes your favorite body part to train?
I love to train glutes because it is one of the hardest body parts to shape. I see it as a challenge and having a great backside helps to look good in anything.
3. Why is back your least favorite body part to train?
I have spent years building my back and have always seen it as a chore. Also, it’s hard at times for me to feel the burn in my back the way I do in my forearms or biceps.
4. How have your rescue dogs Cosmo and Lulu enriched your life both personally and in terms of fitness?
How have they not enriched my life in every respect? I’ve given them an amazing life and they know it. To be loved is an amazing feeling. Every morning they make me excited for the coming day. I love taking them for walks or just hanging out with them outside. I could not imagine my life without them. I may have saved them but in many ways it was they who saved me.
5. Any favorite sports outside of physique competition?
I love baseball and used to play softball at Arizona State University. I also really love football and I’m a big Arizona Cardinals fan. I’m also a huge Tom Brady fan because he helped lead my fantasy football team to victory last year!
6. What are the top training songs on your iPod right now?