It has taken me many years to appreciate the power of inspiration: For the first half of my fitness career, I didn’t realize how inspiring my fit lifestyle was to people around me. I was creating a really cool ripple effect and I didn’t even know it! I was blind to the amazing side effects of working hard and loving what I did!
Moreover, through my passion for living a fit, Oxygen lifestyle, I have also learned about myself: I have become better at accepting, loving and embracing myself more and more each day. Of course, it hasn’t happened overnight. But by developing an awareness of how I live my life every day and how much I enjoy helping others, I’ve also developed a deep sense of environmental and social responsibility.
Live in the Moment
If there is one piece of advice I can offer, it is to get your life off autopilot. Become aware of what you do. Try to stop just going through the daily motions because you’ll never reach your potential. You are unique and authentic, and there is a purpose to your life. But if you follow all the rules blindly and follow the pack of people around you without asking yourself whether it is the right thing for you to do, chances are you’ll miss the opportunity to grow as a person. I see too many people feeling the need to just settle instead of making healthy changes.
As I work with clients, I’ve noticed something that separates those who succeed from those who don’t. It is the ability to love, and value yourself, enough to guiltlessly make the time to take care of YOU.
No More Excuses!
My challenge to you is to do these action steps every day.
1. Start your day with at least 10 minutes of “you” time. Instead of hitting the snooze button, set your alarm a bit early and spend some time reading an inspiring book, listening to a good podcast, or enjoying a cup of tea and breathing deeply. End this time with a daily affirmation such as, “Today will be a good day.”
2. Change the way you react to things that happen. For example, don’t get spun up when in traffic. Instead, work on your posture or blow bubbles out the window and watch people light up as they see them float by! We can’t always control things that happen, but we can control how we react to them.
3. Live in the moment. Practice being 100 percent present in everything that you do. Block out the full workload for 10 minutes when a loved one calls, let go of outside stresses as you walk in the park, and focus on the one task at a time and give it your all.
4. Give to others and the environment. Giving is the best feeling in the world — even if it’s just a simple compliment. Never pass up a chance to make someone feel appreciated or loved. It will fuel your happiness.
5. Spend a minimum of 30 minutes a day being active. Instead of wasting half your lunch break looking at emails or Facebook, get out and move. Skip the nighttime TV and go for a moonlit stroll. The increased blood flow will help energize you and boost your mood.
It’s your turn to create a ripple effect. Go reach your potential. I promise you won’t regret it. You’re worth it!