Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
- 1 cup thick or old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1/8 tsp sundried, mineral rich sea salt
- Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 cup additional hot water if desired, before serving
- Pour oats into a 2-quart saucepan. Add water and salt. (If possible allow to soak overnight uncovered.)
- Cover pot; bring to a boil without stirring. (No stirring until it’s done cooking or the starch will separate, sink to the bottom, and burn!)
- With a gas stove, slip a heat deflector or flame tamer under the pot; reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Note: If using an electric stove, while the pot comes to a boil on one burner, heat a second burner on low. When the pot is boiling hard, transfer pot to the low burner; this reduces the chance of burning and sticking on an electric burner. Turn off heat.
- Let stand with lid on for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir well with a big spoon. Mix in protein, flavoring, sweetener, and spice. If it’s too stiff for your liking, stir in a dash of warm water.
- Serve in two large bowls, topped with a healthy oil or nuts.
*With protein powder: Add 100 to 115 grams per 1 oz scoop
*With friendly fat: 40 to 45 calories and approximately 4 grams of fat per 1 tsp oil or 1 tbsp chopped nuts.
Nutrients per serving (cereal only): Calories: 33, Fat: 6 g, Carbs: 54 g, Protein: 15 g
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 165, Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 27 g, Protein: 7.5 g