Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Best-Ever Vegetable Stir-Fry
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- ½ pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
Heat peanut oil in wok or large skillet until very hot. Add veggies, ginger and garlic and stir-fry until veggies are tender but still crisp, about five minutes. Add soy sauce and stir for a minute. Remove from heat and add sesame seeds and sesame oil, if desired. Serve over rice with chicken, shrimp, scallops or beef.
Nutrition Facts (per serving, without sesame oil): calories 245, fat 17 g, saturated fat 3 g, sodium 290 mg, carbs 22 g, fiber 7 g, sugar 9 g, protein 8 g
With sesame oil: add 20 calories, 2 grams of fat (0.3 grams of saturated fat) per serving.