Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Ready in: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 – 4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 2 large pieces of fresh ginger, finely diced
- Chili powder or fresh chili, to taste
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups of water
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chop celery and onion into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Saute onions until soft, then add the celery, garlic, ginger and chili. Simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree the avocado in a food processor. Remove and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and water into the pan and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the entire soup into a food processor and puree until smooth. Then add the soup back into the pan; simmer on low heat to warm through.
- Stir in the avocado puree and spinach to thicken soup. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to make sure all the fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 70, Total Fats: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 80 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 9 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 2 g, Iron: 1 mg
This soup is full of vitamins and disease-fighting antioxidants plus liver-loving foods (ginger, garlic, celery, and onions) that help your body burning fat. – Carina Hultin Dahlmann, Oxygen reader