Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Ready in 25 minutes • Makes 16 servings
- 2 15-oz cans black beans or any bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- Blend black beans, cumin and walnuts in a food processor until they form a paste-like consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add a 1/4; cup of breadcrumbs (save the rest for later) and mix.
- Combine tomatoes, shallot, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and salt in a medium bowl. Stir 1 cup of tomato mixture into the black bean mixture.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs, oil and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of paprika in a medium bowl until breadcrumbs are coated with oil. Divide the bean mixture into small balls (makes about 8 balls). Lightly press each bean ball into the breadcrumb mixture and coat. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake the bean bites until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add avocado to the remaining tomato mixture and stir to make a salsa. Serve the salsa with the bean bites.
Nutrients per serving (2 balls): Calories: 257, Total Fats: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 45 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 29 g, Dietary Fiber: 10 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 14 g, Iron: 5 mg