Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
This is the perfect energizing snack paired with plain nonfat yogurt.
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or nuts of choice
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 – 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of cardamom
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup all-natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup 100% pure apple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 cups dried fruit of choice (try raisins, cranberries or blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients (first 9 listed) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together remaining wet ingredients except for dried fruit.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture over a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then stir. Bake for an additional 15 minutes until crisp and golden. If the center is still wet, bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet to a wire rack to cool completely and stir in dried fruit. Store granola in an airtight container.
Nutrients per 2 tbsp serving (Makes 28 servings): Calories: 100, Total Fats: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 20 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 16 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 4 g, Iron: 1 mg