Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rough-cut ginger
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons black or white unhulled sesame seeds
- Peel, de-seed, and cube squash. Peel and cut ginger.
- Put the squash and ginger into a large pot. Add water to cover squash by one inch.
- Cover and simmer until squash is soft. Let cool in cooking liquid. (If you decide not to let cool, cover the blender with a dishtowel before putting the lid on to prevent splattering.)
- Add squash to blender and purée. Add cooking liquid to liquefy soup to desired consistency.
- Add salt, and season with pepper.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of sesame seeds onto each serving.
Nutrients per serving (per 236.7 g): Calories: 154.2, Carbs: 28.8 g, Fiber: 1.1 g, Protein: 3.9 g