Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Comfort food can be good for you and your body! The mix of protein from whey, peanut butter, and omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseeds help maintain a lean physique. Whole-grain cereal (Grape-Nuts) amps up your metabolism with magnesium and copper, which aids iron metabolism – essential for delivering oxygen to working muscles. The “jelly” comes from the apricots, which are rich in beta-carotene, known for protecting your eyes, as well as your heart, by lowering LDL cholesterol.
- 1 cup dates
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds (2 tbsp whole)
- 1 cup whey protein powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup Grape-Nuts cereal, divided
- In a food processor, blend together dates and water.
- Add peanut butter and process until smooth. Add more water as needed.
- Add protein powder, flaxseeds and salt and process to combine thoroughly. Add apricot pieces and half of the Grape-Nuts. Pulse just enough to incorporate them into the mixture.
- Place a two-foot-long piece of wax paper in an eight-by-eight-inch dish, with half of the wax paper hanging over the edge. Pour mixture into dish. Use the wax paper to press the mixture evenly in the pan. For best results, place in freezer for one hour to firm. Cut into eight pieces. Roll each piece in the remaining cereal to coat evenly. Wrap individually and refrigerate or freeze.
Nutrients per serving (Makes 8 servings): Calories: 209, Total Fats: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 79 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 25 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 16 g, Iron: 2 mg