Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Makes: 4 servings
Ready in: 30 to 45 minutes*
- 1¼ cups quinoa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces chicken tenders
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large orange, peeled and segmented
- Cook quinoa according to package directions; fluff with a fork and place in large bowl to cool.
- In the meantime, preheat broiler with a rack 4 to 6 inches from heat.
- In large bowl, combine chili powder, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Place chicken under broiler and cook, turning once halfway through, until cooked, about 12 minutes.
- Add chicken to the quinoa, toss with remaining ingredients, cover and refrigerate until serving.
*Quinoa may be made ahead of time.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 459, total fat 19 g, saturated fat 3 g, trans fat 0 g, sodium 389 mg, carbs 52 g, fiber 6 g, sugar 4 g, protein 20 g, iron 3.5 mg
- Quinoa is a complete protein, making it an ideal protein source for vegetarians and vegans.
- Oranges contain more than 170 different phytochemicals and more than 60 flavonoids, many of which possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Antioxidants in limes help prevent the buildup of plaque on artery walls, making them a heart-healthy addition to meals.