Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
If you’re tracking macros, you might be squeezing protein in wherever you can throughout the day. One way you can consume (and actually enjoy) a serving of protein is through your daily cup of morning coffee.
Studies show that eating a high-protein breakfast helps increase muscle mass, calories burned throughout the day, glucose regulation and satiety. Eating a breakfast high in protein has also been shown to improve the body’s response to carbs in the following four-hour time window.
Here’s one of our favorite ways to incorporate more protein into breakfast.
How to Make Protein Iced Coffee
- 1 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 3/4 cup milk (almond, soy, dairy, etc.)
- 1 scoop protein powder (any flavor you like)
- 1 cup coffee, cooled
- 1-2 tbsp raw honey (optional)
- Add ice to glass. Pour cooled coffee.
- In separate blender or shaker bottle, combine protein powder and 3/4 cup milk.
- Pour protein mix into glass of coffee. Drizzle raw honey on top.
Tips to Spice Up Your Coffee
Here are some additional tips and tricks to making your protein coffee:
- Use vanilla protein with almond milk.
- Instead of cooling a cup of coffee, use cold brew.
- Top the rim of your glass with sugar-free caramel sauce.
- Freeze coffee in an ice cube tray ahead of time.
- Try different flavors of protein like cookies & cream.
- Add a scoop of raw cacao powder antioxidants and flavor.