Iced Protein Coffee
Enhance your morning brew with an extra dash of protein.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If you’re tracking macros, you might be squeezing protein in wherever you can throughout the day. One way you can consume (and actually enjoy) a serving of protein is through your daily cup of morning coffee.
Studies show that eating a high-protein breakfast helps increase muscle mass, calories burned throughout the day, glucose regulation and satiety. Eating a breakfast high in protein has also been shown to improve the body’s response to carbs in the following four-hour time window.
Here’s one of our favorite ways to incorporate more protein into breakfast.
How to Make Protein Iced Coffee
- 1 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 3/4 cup milk (almond, soy, dairy, etc.)
- 1 scoop protein powder (any flavor you like)
- 1 cup coffee, cooled
- 1-2 tbsp raw honey (optional)
- Add ice to glass. Pour cooled coffee.
- In separate blender or shaker bottle, combine protein powder and 3/4 cup milk.
- Pour protein mix into glass of coffee. Drizzle raw honey on top.
Tips to Spice Up Your Coffee
Here are some additional tips and tricks to making your protein coffee:
- Use vanilla protein with almond milk.
- Instead of cooling a cup of coffee, use cold brew.
- Top the rim of your glass with sugar-free caramel sauce.
- Freeze coffee in an ice cube tray ahead of time.
- Try different flavors of protein like cookies & cream.
- Add a scoop of raw cacao powder antioxidants and flavor.