Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Island Rice Recipe
- 1 cup brown rice or long-grain brown rice
- 2 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds, if desired
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- Cook brown rice as suggested on bag, using coconut water instead of regular water. Once rice is cooked, set aside.
- In a separate pan on medium heat, add coconut oil, sliced almonds, scallions, coconut flakes and garlic.
- Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, then add rice. Cook about 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
Tip: Make it a complete meal by adding a pound of sautéed shrimp or chicken.