Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Ready in: 45 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
Tosca Reno has cleaned up the ultimate in comfort food: macaroni and cheese. Her healthy, energy-boosting version makes this clean dieter’s nightmare a fit gal’s dream come true.
- 1 lb brown-rice elbow macaroni
- 2 cups pureed butternut squash or pumpkin
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or beef)
- 6 oz goat cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped greens (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Coat a 9″x13″ baking pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Boil 4 to 6 cups of water in a large pot. Add macaroni and cook about 10 to 12 minutes, until pasta is tender but firm, then drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook squash and broth together in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until well combined, then increase the heat to medium until almost simmering.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in goat cheese and sea salt. Stir until smooth with no lumps.
- Pour squash mixture over macaroni and stir gently to combine. Transfer to the baking dish and top with grated Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for an additional 3 minutes until top is crisp and brown. Serve.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories: 310, Total Fats: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 10 mg, Sodium: 360 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 48 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 11 g, Iron: 11 mg