Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Ready in 30 minutes (2.5 hours, including cashew soaking time) • Makes 4 Servings
- ⅓ cup unsalted cashews
- 4 pears, sliced in half lengthwise and cored
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 ounces 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder, optional
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted pistachios
- Place cashews in a bowl, cover with water and soak for two hours or more.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pear halves in a baking dish cut side up and add 1/3 cup water. Place ginger slices in water. Drizzle lemon juice over pears and brush tops with maple syrup. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain cashews, then place in a blender along with 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water. Blend until very smooth. In a small saucepan, combine cashew cream, chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon and optional cayenne. Cook over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring often. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if sauce is too thick.
- Serve baked pear halves topped with chocolate sauce and pistachios.
Nutrients per serving Calories: 314, Total Fats: 14 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 7 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 46 g, Dietary Fiber: 8 g, Sugar: 28 g, Protein: 5 g, Iron: 3 mg