Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Muscle-Building Barley and Tuna Salad
Makes 4 servings
Ready in 30 minutes
- 1¼ cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 1 can (6½ ounces) tuna in water, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook barley according to package directions; place into large bowl to cool slightly.
2. Add celery, tomatoes, cucumber and tuna to the barley and combine well.
3. Whisk together all dressing ingredients in small bowl, pour over barley mixture, toss, cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 311, total fat 5 g, saturated fat 1 g, trans fat 0 g, sodium 161 mg, carbs 52 g, fiber 10 g, sugar 2 g, protein 17 g, iron 2.8 mg
1. The high-fiber content of barley also keeps hunger at bay by helping you feel full longer.
2. Aside from its high-protein and low-cost benefits, tuna contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which keeps arteries and blood vessels healthy.