Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Overnight oats have always been a thing — and we’re totally here for it! But it’s always good to switch things up, especially when it comes to breakfast. After all, a good breakfast sets you up for a good workout, or whatever your day holds!
Overnight chia seed pudding is not only delicious (creamy, just a little bit sweet and the texture is addicting) but it’s also the perfect nutrient-dense breakfast. Yes, that’s right. We’re giving the green light for PUDDING.
Not privy to the benefits of chia seeds? Here some of their all-star qualities:
Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants, which have been known to combat aging and possibly cancer.
This pudding is filled with fiber. A one-ounce serving contains 11 grams of fiber. Interestingly enough, the high fiber in these seeds absorb water and expand in your stomach, theoretically increasing your fullness faster.
Fiber is also great for gut health, of course.
3. High Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Hold onto your hats! Chia seeds contain more omega-3s than salmon, gram for gram.
4. Reduced Blood Sugar Levels
Studies have found that chia seeds may improve insulin sensitivity, stabilizing blood sugar levels after eating.
5. Reduced Inflammation
Sometimes inflammation can be good! Inflammation is the body’s natural response to infection or injury and it helps heal and fight off bacteria. However, chronic inflammation is associated with heart disease, so we don’t want that.
Chia seeds may reduce blood levels of inflammatory markers by 40 percent.
Recipe: Overnight Chia Seed Pudding
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (we recommend oat milk, as it adds to the creaminess)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup strawberries
- Drizzle of sweetener of choice; honey, agave, etc.
- Garnish of choice! Cherries, a bit of dark chocolate, a peach slice, etc.
- Mix chia seeds and milk into a glass jar or container (it just has to have a lid) and combine. Allow mixture to settle for a minute, then stir again.
- Drizzle sweetener and stir again.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least two hours or (recommended) overnight.
- When ready to eat, top with strawberries and walnuts.