- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, whole
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups French green lentils, cooked according to package
- 2 cups whole wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a bowl, toss together 1 tbsp oil, butternut squash and tomatoes. Spread ingredients onto a greased cookie sheet. Roast in oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until squash is tender.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about five minutes. Add garlic and cook another two minutes.
- Add lentils, pasta, pepper flakes, tomatoes and butternut squash. Add broth to mixture and heat everything through. Add more broth, if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Nutrients per serving (Makes 6 servings): Calories: 350, Total Fats: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 15 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 62 g, Dietary Fiber: 14 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 18 g, Iron: 5 mg
“This is a delicious protein-packed dish that plays on the warm flavors of fall.” – Christine Bonaventura, Oxygen reader