Shrimp And Chard Over Cheesy Grits With Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
Roasted tomatoes star in this low-calorie, high protein tomato dish that brims with Southern comfort flavors.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup grits, ½ cup shrimp-chard mixture and 3 tomato halves
Total Time: 40 minutes | Hands-On Time: 25 minutes
- 6 Roma tomatoes, halved, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (½ cup)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves chopped (4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or aluminum foil. If using foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place tomatoes on baking sheet, cut side up. Cut a small slit off the rounded end of each tomato half if it can’t stand on end. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the tomatoes and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Roast tomatoes in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until shriveled.
- Meanwhile, bring 2¼ cups water to a boil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. When water is boiling, stir in grits, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook 12 to 14 minutes or until grits are thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in shredded cheese and cayenne pepper, mixing until cheese is melted.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shrimp; saute until shrimp begin to turn white. Stir in chopped chard and continue to heat until chard is wilted and shrimp is fully opaque.
- To serve, divide grits among four serving plates or shallow bowls. Top each serving with ¼ shrimp-chard mixture and 3 of the roasted tomato halves. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 285, total fat 13 g (saturated fat 4 g, trans fat 0 g), sodium 997 mg, carbohydrates 22 g (fiber 3 g, sugar 3 g), protein 19 g