Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Makes: 4 servings
Hands-on time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
To optimize the meatballs’ flavor, create a caramelized crust by first searing them in the skillet until golden brown on all sides.
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Shape into 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and sear 3–5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice and cumin and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook 3–5 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.
Nutrients per serving (4 meatballs and 1 cup bean-corn mixture): Calories: 320, Total Fat: 4.5 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 55 mg, Sodium: 340 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 32 g, Dietary Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 37 g