Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup frozen peas or 1 14.5-oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and uncooked quinoa. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the quinoa is golden, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water or broth, chili powder, cumin powder and sea salt. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Add frozen peas or pinto beans, remove lid and simmer until any remaining liquid evaporates and peas/beans are heated through.
- Garnish with green onions.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 300, Total Fats: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 400 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 50 g, Dietary Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 11 g, Iron: 7 mg