Ready in 40 minutes • Makes 12 servings
Turkey Tip: Look for “ground turkey breast meat,” otherwise you may get meat from the leg of the turkey, which contains 15 percent more fat.
Poultry Cooking Tips: Ground poultry should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F. Insert a thermometer into the ground meat on an angle to get the best temperature reading.
Rosemary: Adding this herb to prepared meat dishes may decrease the presence of harmful fats that form during cooking. SWEET
Spuds: Not only do they up the slimming fiber content, sweet potatoes act as the emulsifier in this recipe, working like an egg to make everything stick together.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast meat
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (1/4; cup whole flax ground in a coffee grinder yields 1/2 cup ground)
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 large sweet potato, quartered and cooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until everything is well blended. If you don’t have a food processor, mash the sweet potatoes with a fork and combine well with the other ingredients using clean hands.
- Spray a 12-muffin tin with cooking spray. Evenly divide mixture amongst muffin tins. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 90, Total Fats: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 0.5 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Sodium: 110 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 4 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 11 g, Iron: 1 mg Nutrients per serving (1 muffin, 89 g):Calories: 123, Total Fats: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 50 mg, Sodium: 117 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 12 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 14 g, Iron: 1 mg