Veggie-licious Chicken Soup
This quick and easy slow cooker meal is a great option for those busy weeknights!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup corn (I just use frozen, but you can use fresh or canned)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 15-oz cans low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Place all ingredients except for chicken in a slow cooker, stirring to blend. Lay chicken on top and push down slightly to cover with soup. Cook for 5 hours on low heat.
- Remove chicken from soup. Let chicken cool slightly, then shred. Stir back into the soup and continue to cook 1 hour.
- Saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil in a Dutch oven for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for chicken and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Add cooked, diced chicken to soup and simmer until chicken is heated through.
Nutrients per serving (Makes 10 servings): Calories: 160, Total Fats: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 25 mg, Sodium: 200 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 19 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 17 g, Iron: 2 mg