Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
Sweet, juicy figs are packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber, making them delicious healthy ingredient. Try this hearty salad after a long run or heavy workout; you’ll reap the benefits of energizing carbohydrates, healthy fats and muscle-building protein.
Ready in approximately 1 hour | Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup wild rice or wild rice blend
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 dried Black Mission figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas (thawed)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3oz smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions. Cool and set aside.
- Whisk together lemon juice, oil, mustard, maple syrup, paprika and pepper.
- Toss dressing with cooled rice, figs, peppers, peas, dill, mint and smoked salmon. Serve.
Nutrients per serving: Total Calories: 250, Total Fats: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 110mg, Total Carbohydrates: 33g, Dietary Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 13g, Protein: 18g, Iron: 1.5mg