Ready in 28 minutes | Makes 4 servings
Did you know it takes 20 bottles of commercially brewed iced tea to get the same amount of antioxidants found in just one cup of home-brewed tea? Here's a tasty drink that delivers a healthy dose of vitamins and boosts your postworkout recovery.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2" piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 8 Oolong tea bags
- Sweetener of your choice to taste (optional)
- Add water, milk, vanilla, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat so that liquid maintains a very slow simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium. When liquid is bubbling, turn off heat and add tea bags. Cover pan and steep 4 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and pour tea through a fine-mesh strainer into a pitcher. Stir in sweetener if using. Serve immediately over ice (may be refrigerated up to 1 day).
Fit Fact: The spices in this refreshing chai offer many health benefits: cinnamon may help control glucose intolerance, lowering your risk of type 2 diabetes; and ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce muscle pain and swelling.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 46, Total Fats: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 6 mg, Sodium: 45 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 5 g, Dietary Fiber: 0 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 3 g, Iron: 0.1 mg