- 4 bell peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground bison
- 1 egg
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (find one with low sugar)
- Sea salt, ground pepper and oregano, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut a golf-ball-sized hole around pepper stems. Then pull out the stems, seeds and membranes. Rinse peppers, inside and out.
- Brush peppers' outer skin with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bison meat, egg, celery, onion, flaxseeds, marinara and spices.
- Using a spoon, stuff mixture into peppers evenly.
- Pour water into a cooking pan (just enough to cover bottom of the pan). Place peppers onto pan and then bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until meat is browned throughout. Remove peppers and top with cheese. Place back in oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
Nutrients per serving (Makes 4 servings): Calories: 290, Total Fats: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 125 mg, Sodium: 150 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 12 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 33 g, Iron: 4 mg
"This protein-packed dinner will leave you feeling full and satisfied, but not at all heavy."-Elyse Miller, Oxygen reader