Want to grill something a little healthier than hot dogs this summer? These vegan black bean burgers are a delicious alternative to the fatty, high-cholesterol barbecue staples that will blow your diet and expand your waistline. Wheat gluten gives these patties a texture that won’t fall apart on you, plus they’re chock full of legumes to keep you fuller for longer. Swap the bun for whole-wheat pitas if you’re going vegan.
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
Prep Time: 25 min. | Cook Time: 10 min.
- 2 cups or 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (also called seitan)*
- 1/2 cup plain whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste or ketchup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 6 whole-wheat buns, warmed or grilled (or substitute whole-wheat pita bread)
- Light your grill.
- Mash the beans against the edge of a mixing bowl with a fork. You can leave some unmashed bits, but no whole beans once you’re finished.
- Add the wheat gluten, whole-wheat bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, water, tomato paste, cilantro, minced garlic and chopped shallot.
- Knead the mixture together with your hands for about a minute, or until all of the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Divide the mixture into 6 uniform balls. Use your palm to press each ball down to form a patty about 1½-inch thick.
- Place patties on the grill near the edge (they cook best over medium heat) for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Place on the buns or cut the tops of the pita pockets to open the. Use tongs to fit one patty inside each pocket before adding desired toppings.
- Red leaf lettuce
- 1 Large vine ripened tomato, sliced
- Dill pickle slices
- Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, salsa (whatever you’re tasting)
*Vital wheat gluten is a natural protein found in wheat. It can be added to yeast bread recipes to improve elasticity and texture, but it can also be used to make a meat substitute called seitan. You can find it at places like Whole Foods and some grocery stores.