Ready in 15 minutes • Makes 1 serving
- 5-oz can low-sodium solid white albacore tuna in water, drained
- 2 sliced green onions
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4–5 shakes hot sauce
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp chunky salsa
- 1/4 avocado (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except coconut oil, salsa and avocado, in a medium-sized bowl. Let sit 2 to 3 minutes so the coconut flour absorbs the moisture of the egg whites and lime juice.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick pan or electric griddle to medium-high heat or 350°F.
- Divide and shape mixture into 2 fish cakes.
- Heat coconut oil in the pan and cook cakes about 4 to 5 minutes, then flip. The bottom of the cakes should be a nice golden brown.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes more. When cooked, top cakes with salsa and avocado, and serve with a side salad.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 350, Total Fats: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 45 mg, Sodium:630 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 15 g, Dietary Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 50 g, Iron: 5 mg
“I love to serve this dish with garlic-roasted broccoli and mushrooms, or a big spinach salad,” says reader Ashley Farr, who provided this recipe.