Ready in 20 minutes • Makes 4 servings
Fit tip: Grass-fed beef is three to five times higher than grain-fed beef in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which reduces body fat while preserving lean muscle mass.
- 1 lb flank steak
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 8 butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 each cucumber, red bell pepper, mango, julienned
- Fresh cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Score the flank steak by slicing 1/4" deep gashes against the grain about 3/4" apart. This will help tenderize the beef and allow the marinade to penetrate more deeply.
- Combine lime zest, lime juice, oil, honey or agave, cumin, chili powder and balsamic vinegar in a large zip-top plastic bag. Place steak in the bag with marinade. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat grill or grill pan over high heat. Remove steak from bag and cover with black pepper. Place steak on grill and let cook about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove steak and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Then, slice against the grain into strips. Divide evenly onto lettuce leaves, along with the cucumber, bell pepper and mango; top with cilantro leaves.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 276, Total Fats: 13 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 31 mg, Sodium: 292 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 20 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 15 g, Protein: 21 g, Iron: 2 mg