Looking for midafternoon sustenance that tastes amazing and plays by the nutrition rules, too? This snack certainly fits the bill. University of Missouri researchers found that among healthy women, those who ate a high-protein yogurt snack such as deliciously thick Greek yogurt felt full for longer than gals who noshed on lower-protein chow. Plus, almonds deliver great crunch and healthy fats shown to keep your heart in tiptop shape.
Bring this snack to the office to avoid vending-machine temptation. The blueberry compote can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Greek Yogurt With Blueberry Compote
Ready in 30 minutes | Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs, optional
- To make the compote, place blueberries, water, lemon zest, cinnamon and ginger in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into 2 tablespoons water until dissolved. Stir dissolved cornstarch and vanilla extract into blueberry mixture and heat one minute more, or until thickened.
- Place yogurt in serving bowls and top with blueberry compote, almonds and cacao nibs (if using).
Nutrients (per serving): calories 244, total fats 7 g, saturated fat 2 g, trans fat 0 g, sodium 100 mg, total carbohydrates 21 g, fiber 3 g, sugar 14 g, protein 25 g