Quinoa Salad With Chicken
Makes 4 servings
Ready in 30 to 45 minutes*
- 1¼ cups quinoa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces chicken tenders
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions; fluff with a fork and place in large bowl to cool.
2. In the meantime, preheat broiler with a rack 4 to 6 inches from heat.
3. In large bowl, combine chili powder, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken and toss to coat.
4. Place chicken under broiler and cook, turning once halfway through, until cooked, about 12 minutes.
5. Add chicken to the quinoa, toss with remaining ingredients, cover and refrigerate until serving.
*Quinoa may be made ahead of time.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 459, total fat 19 g, saturated fat 3 g, trans fat 0 g, sodium 389 mg, carbs 52 g, fiber 6 g, sugar 4 g, protein 20 g, iron 3.5 mg
1. Quinoa is a complete protein, making it an ideal protein source for vegetarians and vegans.
2. Oranges contain more than 170 different phytochemicals and more than 60 flavonoids, many of which possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
3. Antioxidants in limes help prevent the buildup of plaque on artery walls, making them a heart-healthy addition to meals.