Research shows the quirky antioxidant called quercetin — found in common everyday foods like apples, red onions, tomatoes and capers — could help increase endurance during your workout and provide anti-inflammatory benefits afterward. Here are a few ways you can use these foods to add more energy to your meals:
- Sprinkle drained capers over salads or whole-grain pasta.
- Add chopped organic tomatoes and sliced red onions to salads or sandwiches
- For a quick homemade salsa: Chop organic tomatoes, cilantro and green chilis and add a splash of lime juice. Use as a topping for fish or turkey burgers or mix salsa with tuna for a fat-free sandwich filling.
- Add raspberries to plain low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese — perfect for postworkout.
- For a sweet snack: Combine unpeeled red-apple chunks with raspberries and red grapes and drizzle with a teaspoon of honey.