Makes 4 servings
Ready in 30 minutes
- 1 cup quick-cooking wild rice
- 1 red pepper pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- ½ pound cooked medium shrimp (may be frozen and thawed)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon each dried basil and tarragon
1. Cook rice according to package directions; set aside in large bowl to cool slightly.
2. Combine red pepper, spinach, shrimp and celery; add rice and combine.
3. Prepare dressing: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, olive oil and seasonings; pour over rice mixture, cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 252, total fat 5 g, saturated fat 1 g, trans fat 0 g, sodium 116 mg, carbs 34 g, fiber 4 g, sugar 3 g, protein 18 g, iron 2.8 mg
1. Wild rice is high in the amino acids glutamate, cysteine and glycine, precursors for the formation of glutathione, a powerful antioxidant.
2. Spinach contains nitrates, which helps strengthen and tone muscles by regulating calcium in the body. This, in turn, increases muscle contraction.
3. Red wine vinegar contains trace amounts of iron, necessary to produce red blood cells.