Ready in 30 minutes • Makes 4 servings
- 1 large orange
- bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow and orange tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb lump crab meat or cooked shrimp
- Roast the bell pepper: position rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat broiler. Place pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
- Peel tomatoes: make a small “X” in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until skin is slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X. Core each tomato and divide in half; set aside.
- Place the roasted pepper and half of the tomatoes in a blender. Add onion and oil and purée until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Purée remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with crab or shrimp.
Nutrients per 4-oz serving: Calories: 240, Total Fats: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 230 mg, Sodium: 460 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 18 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g , Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 33 g, Iron: 5 mg