Ready in 25 minutes • Makes 2 servings
- 3 Tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1–2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds (or cranberries)
- 2–4 ounces ahi tuna steaks (3/4” thick)
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- In a dry non-stick pan set on medium heat, add pine nuts. Shake the pan every 30 seconds and toss the pine nuts. When they are lightly browned, remove from heat and set to a plate to cool.
- In a medium bowl, toss together olive oil, orange juice, salt and pepper to taste, kale and pomegranate seeds. Add roasted pine nuts.
- Season both sides of the tuna pieces with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat canola oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. The pan should be as hot as you can get it. Sear tuna on each side for about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from pan and slice each piece into 1/4-inch thick slices; they will be pink inside. Fan out on top of kale salad. Serve.
Tip: If raw kale is too bitter for your tastes, try a squeeze of lemon or orange.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 442, Total Fat: 31 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 51 mg, Sodium: 152 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 15 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 8 g, protein: 31 g, Iron: 3 mg[/colored_box]