Hands-on time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
To optimize the meatballs’ flavor, create a caramelized crust by first searing them in the skillet until golden brown on all sides.
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15-oz. can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Shape into 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and sear 3–5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides.
4. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice and cumin and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook 3–5 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
5. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Nutrients per serving (4 meatballs and 1 cup bean-corn mixture): Calories: 320, Total Fat: 4.5 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 55 mg, Sodium: 340 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 32 g, Dietary Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 37 g