Bulk up, belly down! Are you getting about 25 grams of fiber daily? Most Americans only eat about 15 grams a day. A Dutch study showed that people who consumed around 10 grams of fiber per day lost total body weight and reduced their waist circumference. Try this shake for breakfast to make sure you get your daily dose! Here are a few more reasons to add this drink to your diet:
- Whey protein contains a unique set of bioactive compounds that have been shown to slow down fat synthesis, while stimulating fat burning and muscle building.
- Water helps remove waste from your body - a boon when consuming high-fiber foods.
- Apple skins pack insoluble fiber, the kind that passes through your digestive system largely unchanged, promoting bowel regularity and, in essence, keeping your waistline trim.
- Prunes deliver high amounts of soluble fiber, which has been shown to control blood sugar levels to provide a sense of fullness, which can help prevent you from overeating.
- Natural peanut butter is a cholesterol-free and inexpensive protein source.
- Just a tablespoon of ground cinnamon has the same amount of antioxidants as four ounces of grape juice.
- Fresh ginger helps to relieve body aches.
- Cardamom contains cineole, which lends its potent antiseptic properties to kill bad-breath bacteria in your mouth.
Spiced Apple Protein Shake
Ready in 5 minutes (not including overnight freezing time) • Makes 1 serving
- 1 small apple, cored, chopped into chunks and frozen (skin left on)
- 1/4 cup dried, pitted prunes, frozen
- 1 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 3/4 cup chilled water
- Place all ingredients in blender and pulse until well blended.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 390, Total Fats: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Sodium: 50 mg, Carbohydrates: 60 g, Fiber: 10 g, Sugars: 37 g, Protein: 22 g, Iron: 1 mg