This dish is packed with heart-healthy soy protein, energizing B vitamins and provides 112 percent of your daily needs for manganese, a nutrient essential to enhancing your body’s own natural antioxidant defense system.
Tofu Fried Rice
Ready in: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 12-oz package extra-firm light tofu
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. all-natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp. molasses or honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 ts.p ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Remove tofu from package, wrap it in paper towels and gently squeeze down to remove excess liquid. Try not to crumble the tofu. Cut into ½"pieces.
- Heat skillet on medium heat (don’t add oil), and cook tofu, 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Add oil to skillet. Sauté garlic and frozen vegetables until fragrant. Add a little water to keep vegetables from sticking. Cover with a lid to steam, about 2 minutes. Add the brown rice and heat through. Mix in half of the scallions and reserve the rest for garnish.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl; mix well. Toss the sauce with the vegetable and brown rice mixture. Add the tofu and mix with the other ingredients to combine flavors. Garnish with remaining scallions.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 435, Total Fats: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 529 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 61 g, Dietary Fiber: 10 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 23 g, Iron: 5 mg