Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Véronique Morin conquered two major goals in 2011: earning her Pro card and gracing the cover of Oxygen. And the vivacious redhead has kept up the pace in 2012, landing her second cover. Learn all about the qualities that keep her climbing to the top.
A Gal With a Plan
Véronique started hitting the weights at age 17, but wanted to add some structure to her routine, so a friend recommended a coach who created a program and meal plan for her. Véronique knew nothing about competing in fitness competitions until her coach brought it up. When she decided to try a show in 2009, she took first place and hasn’t stopped since.
When it comes to her life partner, Véronique needs an equal – someone who lives a fit lifestyle just like her. “I need someone who trains or is athletic,” she says. Mission accomplished. Véronique and her boyfriend, Antony, train together. “He doesn’t train with me like I’m a girl. He pushes me like I’m one of the guys.” She’s helped him along the way, too, and after seven years together, he’s a clean eater to boot! Now, they teach their kids, ages six and four, to follow in their healthy footsteps.
In the Kitchen
Véronique swears by the Eat-Clean Diet® series for delicious, clean variety. When cooking for her family, she serves up this favorite from The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook for comfort-food goodness without the guilt.
Turkey Loaf To Live By
Ready in 2 hours • Makes 10 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 purple or Vidalia onions, chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 3 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp tomato paste, mixed with a tablespoon of water
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2½ lb ground turkey breast
- ¾ cup oat bran (or ground-up oats)
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp water
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan and cook onions and celery until translucent. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add baby spinach and arugula to pan with one teaspoon of water, and cook until wilted. Remove from heat and let cool. Add basil and cilantro to the wilted greens and mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix egg and egg whites, tomato paste mixture and stock. Add ground turkey, oat bran and flaxseed, along with the cooked celery and onions. Mix well using your hands.
- Coat a 10″ loaf pan with cooking spray. Evenly spread half of the turkey mixture in the pan. Add the wilted greens mixture as an even layer on top. Add remaining turkey mixture over greens and smooth out.
- Bake for 1.5 hours or until meat thermometer reads 160°F. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before removing from pan and cutting.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 222, Total Fats: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 75 mg, Sodium: 139 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 11 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 33 g, Iron: 2 mg