Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness and nutrition courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
For those days where you’re craving waffles, but your sweet tooth just isn’t there: Potato Rösti Waffles! Considered a national dish in Switzerland, rösti, means “crisp and golden” which is exactly what this recipe produces.
PREP TIME: 15 min
- 2 Russet potatoes, coarsely grated and squeezed dry
- 1/2 sweet potato, coarsely grated and squeezed dry
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp whole-grain spelt flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp safflower oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup coarsely grated aged cheddar cheese
- Heat a waffle iron to medium. Preheat oven to 250°F. Place an oven-safe rack over a large baking sheet.
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients except cheese; mix until combined. Fold in cheese.
- Mist waffle iron with cooking spray. Spread a generous ½ cup of potato mixture onto waffle plate (or according to capacity of your waffle maker). Cook until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. (TIP: Reduce heat if waffles brown too quickly.)
- Transfer to prepared rack; place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, making about 8 waffles total.
Note: Serve these waffles plain or use them as a base for your favorite topping combination. Try smoked salmon, capers, red onion and a dollop of sour cream; poached eggs, sautéed mushrooms and steamed broccolini; or, for a fruity option, omit the onion in the batter and top with yogurt and berries.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 204
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 69 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 416 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g
From Clean Eating.