New Year, New You
Here are 50 new ways to make this year your best yet.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Five reasons to throw on a paper gown this year:
- Pelvic exam and pap smear.
- Breast exam.
- Blood pressure check.
- Weight check.
- Skin-cancer screening.
Five things to learn this year:
- How to read nutrition labels.
- How to do a pull-up – even a single pull-up.
- How to eat mindfully.
- How to say “no” sometimes.
- How to stand tall.
Five new ways to save money on health and fitness this year:
- Pre-pay for an annual gym membership; it’s usually less expensive than a month-to- month renewal or daily pass.
- Bike to work.
- Hang out your gym socks, shorts and sports bra to dry; you’ll pay less on your electric bill and help the environment.
- Refill a BPA-free water bottle at the fountain instead of buying a new plastic water bottle every time you go the gym.
- Never grocery shop when you’ve got the munchies.
Five new places to try a workout this year:
- The local park – especially if it has fitness trails.
- The swimming pool.
- The bedroom (best with a partner).
- The stairs up to your office – skip the elevator.
- The airport: Walk laps to kill time during your next delay.
Five new foods to incorporate into your diet:
- Pistachios – They lower cholesterol and contain heart healthy fats.
- Pomegranates – They’re packed with antioxidants and an animal study found they could help with inflammation.
- Salmon – In addition to heart-healthy omega-3s, it contains bone-strengthening vitamin D.
- Chamomile tea – A daily cup could help reduce your chances of diabetes.
- Basil – Researchers are now finding that the yummy herb has anti-aging properties.
Five things to cross off your to-do list:
- Find a family doctor.
- Schedule an annual physical and pap test.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet, tossing all expired items.
- Find a workout buddy in your city.
- Get your flu shot.
Five healthy items to invest in:
- BPA-free water bottle.
- Well-fitting sports bra.
- Workout journal.
- Small, portable cooler.
Five words to incorporate into your every day:
- “No” (as in, you’re not going to have that second slice of chocolate cake).
- “Natural” (as in, peanut butter and sweetener).
- “Brown” (as in rice, cereal, bread and any other whole-grain item).
- “Mindful” (as in eating and living).
- “Healthy” (as opposed to skinny or fat).
Five ways to stay motivated throughout the year:
- Learn at least one exercise you find intimidating each month.
- Sign up for a weekly group exercise class.
- Load your iPod with new, upbeat tracks.
- Ditch the people and situations that get you off your fitness track.
- Find at least one restaurant near your home or work that serves a clean meal you can eat on days when you don’t have time to cook.
Five things to put off until next year:
- Organizing your gym-clothes drawer by color.
- Topping your salads with radishes cut to resemble roses.
- Perfecting every yoga pose.
- Doing your own taxes.
Start 2018 strong and on track! The Amanda Latona Resolution is an exclusive two-part program designed to help you sail through the holidays without gaining weight and get in the best shape of your life! Learn more and register here!