Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Chocolate lovers rejoice: Rich in catechins, dark chocolate may aid weight loss since catechins can help to increase thermogenesis: the calories you burn digesting food. What’s more, the more bitter the chocolate is, the more fat-burning catechins they contain. Just don’t go cuckoo for cocoa: Stick to one ounce of 82 percent extra-dark chocolate a day.
Chocolate Chicken Mole
Ready in: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 oz-can green chilies, chopped
- 8 oz-can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 oz extra-dark chocolate, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add chicken, cooking about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté onion until soft, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine until the chocolate has melted.
- Submerge the chicken in the sauce. Add water as needed so chicken is completely covered in sauce. Simmer on medium heat, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime or place chicken in warmed corn tortillas on a bed of shredded cabbage, cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 260, Total Fats: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 40 mg, Sodium: 90 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 38 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 30 g, Protein: 24 g, Iron: 1 mg