Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Ready in: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 cups almond flour (try: Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 whole egg Zest of 1 lemon
Apple Pie Filling
- 3 lb tart, crisp baking apples
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp each ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice
- 2 tbsp light, unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place almond flour and sea salt into a food processor, pulse to combine, then add wet ingredients and zest, and blend until a ball of dough is formed.
- Press into a 9″ pie plate, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Peel, core and slice apples one at a time, and drop them into the lemon water to keep them from turning brown.
- Once apples are soaking, drain water from the bowl and pat apples dry with a clean cloth.
- Add remaining ingredients to apples, including remaining tablespoon of lemon juice, and toss well to combine.
- Pour mixture into pie crust and bake 45 to 55 minutes, until the crust is golden and the mixture is bubbling on top.
- Remove and let cool for 1 hour before serving.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 360, Total Fats: 21 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Sodium: 130 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 39 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 30 g, Protein: 8 g, Iron: 3 mg