Caramelized Fennel, Sweet Potato & Pine Nut–Cheese Pizza
An ooey-gooey pizza without cheese? You bet! Creamy cheese made from blended pine nuts, garlic and dill adds serious flavor and texture to this whole-grain pizza with roasted sweet potato and balsamic-glazed fennel.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A pizza made of sweet potato? An ooey-gooey pie without dairy cheese? You bet! Creamy cheese made from blended pine nuts, garlic and dill adds serious flavor and texture to this whole-grain pizza with roasted sweet potato and balsamic-glazed fennel.
Try it with a simple, flavorful 3-Ingredient Spelt Pizza Crust
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 tsp grape seed oil, divided
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 14- to 16-oz whole-grain pizza dough, rolled out to 15 to 17 inches in diameter (
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, whole or chopped
- Nut Cheese
- 1 cup unsalted pine nuts, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tbsp minced red onion
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- Prepare nut cheese: To a food processor, add all nut cheese ingredients except dill. Add 3 tbsp water and process until completely smooth, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in dill. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with 1/2 tsp oil. Spread on a large parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning halfway, until fork-tender.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 1/2 tsp oil. Add fennel and sauté until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Stir, reduce heat to low and cook for 12 minutes more, or until brown. Stir in vinegar and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 500°F. Place pizza crust on a second large parchment-lined baking sheet or a pizza tray and brush with remaining 1 tsp oil. Spread half of nut cheese over crust. Evenly distribute fennel and top with sweet potato. Add dollops of remaining cheese all over pizza and drizzle with maple syrup. Bake until bottom of crust is slightly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes, depending on thickness of crust and type of dough used. Sprinkle with basil.
- Serving Size 1/8 of pizza
- Calories 264
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 83 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g