Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Boost your immune system to help ward off the flu with this antioxidant– and vitamin-rich shake. Honey has anti-viral compounds, and mangoes are a real boon to your immunity as they’re one of the few fruits that boast the healthy vitamin cocktail of A, C and E. Blueberries are loaded with disease-destroying antioxidants plus anti-inflammatory agents.
Training and a busy lifestyle can compromise immune function. Whey protein helps prevent disease by increasing production of glutathione, which is the essential fuel of your immune system.
Healthy Flu-Fighter Shake Recipe
Ready in: 10 minutes
Makes: 1 serving
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup frozen mango pieces
- ¼ cup frozen cherries
- ½ cup sugar-free and fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tsp. flaxseed oil
- Place first 5 ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add protein powder and 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if needed to thin out the consistency.
- Add flaxseed oil and blend on low to gently combine.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 317, Total Fats: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 2 mg, Sodium: 122 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 33 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 29 g, Protein: 32 g, Iron: <0.5 mg