Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For some of us, coffee is a reason to get up in the morning. Whether it’s the caffeine boost or the taste, we’re always looking for ways to slip in more coffee. While we don’t recommend too much brew, here’s a perfect way to mix protein, carbs and micronutrients with your java.
- Studies show that caffeine can increase your resting metabolic rate by 3-11 percent; most of the metabolic increase is the result of an increase in fat burning.
- Cacao powder contains polyphenols – naturally occurring antioxidants – that have been linked to reduce inflammation, improved blood flow and improved cholesterol, among other things.
- Chia seeds contain soluble fiber, which can help lower bad cholesterol and reduce risk of heart disease and lower blood pressure.
Makes 1 serving
- 1 cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop plain or vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 medium banana
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon raw or natural cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Pour coffee into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight.
2. Place the remaining ingredients as well as four of the coffee ice cubes into a blender. Blend until smooth.
Nutrition facts (per serving): 329 calories, 7 g total fats, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 49 g total carbohydrates, 11 g fiber, 15 g sugars, 24 g protein