Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1 13-oz package whole-grain pasta
- 1 large carrot, finely shredded
- 1 Roma tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper (roast under broiler without oil, peel skin and chop)
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 10-oz jar pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
- Brown turkey, drain any fat and rinse, return to pan and add onion and garlic. Boil water and cook pasta as directed (undercook slightly as it will continue to cook a little in the sauce).
- Saute turkey mixture until onions are translucent. Add carrot, tomatoes and zucchini and saute a few minutes.
- Add red pepper, pumpkin puree and pasta sauce (if too thick add a little water). Cover and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes until zucchini is soft and add cream cheese. Turn off heat and let cream cheese melt.
- Add pasta and mix, cover and let stand 2 minutes. Serve with a salad.
Tip: Oxygen reader Theresa likes to roast several peppers at once and freeze them so they are handy.
Nutrients per serving (Makes 6 servings): Calories: 420, Total Fats: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 40 mg, Sodium: 330 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 64 g, Dietary Fiber: 11 g; Sugars: 12 g; Protein: 29 g; Iron: 3 mg