Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Everyone loves a tall stack of pancakes, but typical recipes are loaded with carbs and sugar and contain very little protein. Swapping in a protein supplement is a great way to up your morning intake and start your day on the right track.
Low-Carb Protein Pancakes
Makes: 4 Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 scoops ZonePerfect Carb Wise protein powder (flavor of choice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- cooking spray or oil for greasing pan
- Mix eggs, protein powder and baking powder in a bowl. If needed, add water until it reaches pancake-batter consistency.
- Pour ¼ cup batter into a hot pan greased with cooking spray to form pancakes.
- When bubbles start to form and edges crisp, flip pancakes over.
- Cook pancakes thoroughly, but keep a close eye on them because they can quickly burn!
Fluffy ZonePerfect Pancakes
Makes: 6 Pancakes
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ZonePerfect Carb Wise protein shake (vanilla or chocolate)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
- chopped bananas or strawberries, optional.
- Mix flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix ZonePerfect Carb Wise protein shake, egg and coconut oil in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Melt a bit of coconut oil or butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Poor ⅓ cup mixture into frying pan to form pancakes.
- Add fresh fruit, if desired, such as bananas or strawberries, to top of pancakes.
- When bubbles start to form and edges start to brown, flip pancakes over.
- Heat until cooked through.